The information contained in this sample is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking legal or other professional advice. The contents of this post contain general information and may not reflect current legal developments or address your situation. We disclaim all liability for actions you take or fail to take based on any content on this site.
This form is borrowed from the California Secretary of State’s Forms for California Nonprofit, Nonstock Corporations. Other California forms can be found here.
Articles of Incorporation for a Public Benefit Corporation in California
The name of the corporation is [Name of Corporation] .
- A. This corporation is a nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation and is not organized for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law for:
- ( ) public purposes.
- or ( ) charitable purposes.
- or ( ) public and charitable purposes.
- B. The specific purpose of this corporation is to______________.
The name and address in the State of California of this corporation’s initial agent for service of process is:
- State: CALIFORNIA
- A. This corporation is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).
- B. No substantial part of the activities of this corporation shall consist of carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate or intervene in any political campaign (including the publishing or distribution of statements) on behalf of any candidate for public office.
The property of this corporation is irrevocably dedicated to charitable purposes and no part of the net income or assets of this corporation shall ever inure to the benefit of any director, officer or member thereof or to the benefit of any private person. Upon the dissolution or winding up of the corporation, its assets remaining after payment, or provision for payment, of all debts and liabilities of this corporation shall be distributed to a nonprofit fund, foundation or corporation which is organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes and which has established its tax exempt status under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3).
[Signature of Incorporator]
[Typed Name of Incorporator], Incorporator
If an individual is designated as the initial agent for service of process, include the agent’s business or residential street address in California (a P.O. Box address is not acceptable). If another corporation is designated as the initial agent for service ofprocess, do not include the address of the designated corporation.
This sample should be used ONLY as a guideline in the preparation of the original document for filing with the California Secretary of State.